Do I need to spay or neuter my pet?
If you have a new furry family member, or even if you have had your pet for a while and are unsure if to spay or neuter is the necessary or the best opinion – this post is for you. It will explain the importance and urgency of this standard procedure.
Why Should I Spay Or Neuter My Dog?
Spaying or neutering is a responsible choice that benefits everyone – pets, their families, and society as a whole. Spaying or neutering your pet prevents potential health problems and unwanted pregnancies.
Reasons To Spay Your Female Dog:
- chances of breast cancer are close to 0% when your dog is spayed before her first heat cycle
- lowers the risk of mammary tumors
- prevents uterine infections
Reasons To Neuter Your Male Dog:
- lessens the chance of prostate problems
- helps prevent testicular cancer
Why Should I Spay or Neuter My Cat?
- cats in heat are uncomfortable (and the loud meowing can be annoying for us humans too)
- cats can have 2-3 litters of kittens a year
- adult females can be in heat as often as every 2 weeks for 6 months
- when male cats are neutered, the risk of marking behavior is drastically reduced – and their urine becomes significantly less smelly!
Why is Spaying or Neutering the Responsible Choice?
We believe that protecting your pet from preventable health problems is a necessary part of providing the best for your pet, and we recommend spaying and neutering to support this in most cases. In addition, millions of cats and dogs are euthanized needlessly each year. It is our responsibility not to add to the problem.
Has your pet been spayed or neutered? Request an appointment now to answer any questions you may have.
About Furever Family Veterinary Care Center
As an AAHA Accredited Veterinary Care Center, we care about your animals from nose-to-tail throughout their lifetime and have built our practice to support as much of your pet's needs here on site.
We have a deep love for every furry friend and know that they are part of your Family – and deserve to be treated that way.