Does it really matter what my cat eats? What is the best food for my dog? Does breed matter?
If you are like most pet owners, you have wrestled with questions like these often when deciding what food to buy for your non-human family members. There is a lot of marketing hype out there touting the best food for your pet: but what is science and what is fiction?
Diet and nutrition is very important for pets, and your canine or feline friend needs a proper mix of protein, fat, and carbohydrates to help them grow up and stay strong.
What could happen if your pet doesn’t eat right?
- Damage to the teeth, including loss if they aren’t eating the right foods
- Accidental poisoning if eating the wrong foods from the table
- Problems with essential organ development
- Skin conditions and hair loss
- Joint problems if they put on too much weight
When you bring your pet in for their annual wellness appointment, your veterinarian will look at several key indicators to determine if they would benefit from a change in diet. If a special brand is required, we have many in stock. You can often go home with the new food that day – and order refills via text message! How cool is that?